WINTER FUN IN WINNIPEG!February 2, 2016
I’m sure that most of you have heard the pointed comments and icy innuendos directed at the city of “Winterpeg”. Contrary to popular belief though, Winnipeg is in fact a great place to be in the winter season. There are plenty of fun-filled seasonal activities within walking distance of Booth University College’s downtown location that you don’t want to miss out on. For example:
- Watch the Santa Claus Parade – always a joy to witness, this year’s parade included 100 floats and an overhead fly-by courtesy of the Snowbirds
- Catch a Jets Games – Booth UC often offers discounted tickets for sporting events, including games by Winnipeg’s own NHL team
- Check Out the Festival du Voyageur – this 10-day event showcases Canada’s unique French heritage and fur-trading past through exhibits, entertainment, and art (including large and intricate snow sculptures!)
- Go Skating on the Assiniboine and Red Rivers – over five kilometres of ice are cleared off of the rivers each year and they are opened up to the public for skating, if you don’t have skates don’t worry because you can rent them at the Forks
- Witness the Great Ice Show – new for 2016, this event features more than 1,000 hand-carved blocks of ice fashioned into a crystal city, complete with a 12-metre high Manitoba Legislature Building and 6-metre high dinosaurs!
As you can see even from this brief list of examples, there is a wide diversity of winter events and activities to keep you busy and having a great time here, no matter what the weather is outside!