‘TIS THE SEASON. EXAM SEASON! 5 TIPS FOR SUCCESSDecember 9, 2015
Tis the season to be jolly, and we here at Booth University College are getting into the Christmas spirit. We just had our Christmas banquet on December 4th, and it was a blast. The food was amazing, and the dance floor was filled with students having a good time, myself included. The Christmas season is truly in full swing here at Booth UC. However, it is also one of the students least favourite times of the year, exam season. As a second year student, I have gone through the exam week process twice already, so I have an idea of what to expect and how to best prepare. Here is a list of ways to mentally prepare for exams:
- Get plenty of sleep. Going into an exam after staying up all night studying will typically just lower your grades because of how exhausted your mind is.
- Find your best method of studying. I know some people who it seems study almost constantly during their spare time. I prefer to study just shortly before an exam and to just take a brief look at everything.
- Understanding, not memorization. This is a mistake even some of the most experienced students make when studying for an exam. Instead of trying to understand the topic, they try to memorize everything that was taught in class. While this might work for multiple choice, when it comes to those long answer questions, it comes up short.
- Take care of yourself. Be sure to eat healthy, exercise, and get a breath of fresh air every once and a while. The last thing you want to do is to be feeling sick during exam season.
- Finally, don’t stress yourself out. Exam season is just a small portion of our lives, and if you do a little bit of preparing in advance, it can be passed through with ease.
These are my tips for preparing for finals. And just think, after the last exam is written, you have no papers, tests or assignments to worry about until the start of next semester.
Merry Christmas to one and all,