2015 English and Film Studies graduate
Academic Learning Centre, Booth University College
(2 hours/week, January – April 2018)
The Academic Learning Centre is launching a brand new Peer Tutoring program in January 2018 and we are looking for enthusiastic, skilled Booth UC students to join us.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or a professor’s referral
- Must have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours towards a Bachelor’s degree program
- Preference given to applicants entering their 3rd year of study or higher at Booth University College, or possess a relevant undergraduate degree.
The major task of Peer Tutors is to provide program-specific tutoring support to first and second year students. Peer Tutors will work one-on-one or in small groups with students to help them achieve their goals here at Booth UC.
As a Peer Tutor you would:
- Assist new students with the transition from high school to university
- Offer advice and support based on your experience in a specific field
- Explain concepts based on course materials and lectures
- Assist in applying course concepts
- Refer students to other academic services
- Assist the Coordinator of the ALC with various promotional and program development tasks
Peer Tutors will be hired to provide tutoring support for the following program focus areas:
- Social Work
- Psychology and/or Behavioural Sciences
- English & Film
- Business Administration
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following items to BoothUC_Careers@BoothUC.ca prior to 4:00 p.m. January 15th 2018:
- Resume of work and student experience; Be sure to indicate your current program of study at Booth UC and knowledge of at least one of the program focus areas named above.
- Brief statement of the reasons you are applying for this position; Be sure to include an indication of how you will approach the tasks required and highlight any specific skills or experience you are able to bring to this position.
All applications will be reviewed in consultation with Booth UC faculty members from the relevant program areas and selected applicants will be invited to a short interview. Hiring decisions will be made until all positions have been filled. Applicants will be notified of results as decisions are made and by the latest prior to January 31st 2018.
Peer Tutors will receive $12.00 per hour for 2 hours per week over a period of approximately 12 weeks (or whatever is remaining to the end of term following the start date). A total of 5 Peer Tutor positions are available.