The Academic Learning Centre is here to help you succeed! Please use the link below to schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated staff.
Our ALC staff can help structure your semester, teach study strategies, provide time management tips, assist with advanced online research, and can offer support in developing reading and writing skills, effective note taking, correct bibliography formatting, and so much more. Whether you are struggling with a certain class or want to bump that B up to an A, support is always available to help you strengthen your academic skills and achieve your academic goals.
BOOK A FACE-TO-FACE APPOINTMENT with one of our ALC staff
- Use our online scheduler to book an appointment
- Drop-in support is available without an appointment every Wednesday from 12 noon – 3:00 PM.
Please note: drop-in appointments are limited to 15 minutes long if other students are waiting, so for more comprehensive support, it is better to book an appointment.
BOOK AN EMAIL APPOINTMENT
- Email appointments are for students who are not on campus during our regular hours OR for students who have special circumstances that make it difficult to visit us in person. We strongly recommend in-person appointments if possible so that we can better teach and explain; however, we are willing to help in this way if needed. If you have any questions about email appointments, please email the ALC coordinator @ EMAIL COORDINATOR
- To book an email appointment, schedule an appointment time where we will look at your paper (you do not need to come to the appointment). We will then return it to you by email with some suggestions and feedback to help guide you to improve your assignment.
- Please book only one appointment per assignment (determining if another appointment is needed is at the discretion of the tutor/coordinator). Also note, our focus is on teaching you to identify what needs to be changed, not fixing the mistakes for you.
- Please upload your assignments to your appointment scheduler form and make sure you:
- Indicate the course and provide a description of the assignment
- Read through to eliminate typos or obvious errors.
- Run a standard spelling & grammar check
- Make sure the file is in .doc/.docx format
ATTEND A WRITING SKILLS WORKSHOP
- Writing Skills Sessions are offered on Mondays OR Tuesdays 12:00-12:45 in the Academic Learning Centre (the same session will be offered 2 different days – choose one)
- Sign-up for Writing Skills Session through the appointment booking link above.
REQUEST A GROUP STUDY OR ASSIGNMENT PREP SESSION
- Have classmates struggling with the same material you are? Or maybe you all have an assignment you need help getting started on. Email the ALC, schedule an appointment with the coordinator, or drop-in to see the coordinator to request a group session. You can also ask your professor to contact us to help support your group.
HOW THE ALC CAN HELP YOU:
- Our Academic Learning Centre tutors can help you improve your writing no matter what your current skill level. We are not an editing service. Rather, we will work with you to help you understand how to craft well-written, well-structured essays, so that you may carry those skills with you to future assignments.
- Before you even begin your essay or project, you need a plan. Our tutors can help you create an effective research strategy, including: how to draft a compelling thesis statement, how to find relevant source materials, and how to lay out a convincing argument.
- If you are having difficulty understanding your class materials, we will work through them together to make sure you leave with a better grasp of the information being presented to you. Stressed out by a big test? Let us help! We can help you come up with a strategy to study both efficiently and effectively.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE SUPPORT
- Still working to improve English language proficiency? The ALC coordinator can help you improve your grammar, pronunciation, and conversational speaking skills.
- We will schedule and guide group study sessions as needed. Send an email or come see us in the ALC to request a study group for a particular class or assignment.