Certificate in KROC Center Leadership
*8-Month Certificate Program (12 credit hours)
The Salvation Army Ray and Joan KROC Corps Community Centers in the USA present distinct ministry opportunities to develop new models of organization and operation which require qualified and trained leaders. Responding to this need, the USA National KROC Center Task Force comprised of representatives from the four US territories, commenced work on a capacity building approach for KROC leadership development.
This 8-month certificate program will be offered in a cohort structure, with 20 students from across the USA. Participants will be identified and approved by their US territory. The certificate includes one hybrid course (comprising of two intensives – one with a concentration on leadership and one with a concentration on strategy) and four online courses covering specific practice content. Each course is worth two or three credit hours.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR THE KROC CENTER LEADERSHIP CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
At the conclusion of the certificate program of studies, participants will be able to:
- Leadership Concentration
- Effectively build/lead a team, using available resources to complete projects and tasks
- Maintain a calm and objective disposition with others, and be able to work towards win-win solutions to problems.
- Keep appropriate levels of connection and distance in relationships
- Lead with humility and with the purpose of serving others
- Plan and implement a clear vision for the future
- Use new approaches in responding to challenges
- Help others reach their potential
- Operations Concentration
- Demonstrate skills distinctive to large KROC Center settings in staff supervision/development, complex business/finance operations, fund raising complexities, facilities/equipment management
- Demonstrate general knowledge of programming and operations in aquatics, arts/education, health/fitness, sports/recreation and day camps
- Demonstrate the ability to think through the complexities in all areas of operations, to prioritize issues, and implement effective and innovate solutions to problems
- Demonstrate attention to regular personal emotional health, health and wellness activities, healthy and strong family relationships, and strong and healthy spiritual life through regular prayer, Bible study, and devotions
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE KROC CENTER CERTIFICATE PROGRAM:
The Certificate in KROC Center Leadership is the delivery of a distinctive certificate program for KROC Center leadership development. The target audience would be leaders in KROC Center environments or those preparing for leadership in KROC Centers.
The certificate program is comprised of five required courses (12 credit hours) , utilizing delivery modes of intensive and online learning. Required Courses for the Certificate in KROC Center Leadership
- MGT 281 Leadership and Strategy for KROC Centers (2 credit hours)
- MGT 282 Human Resource Management for KROC Centers (3 credit hours)
- MGT 283 Operations and Programs for KROC Centers (2 credit hours)
- MGT 284 Financial Management for KROC Centers (3 credit hours)
- MGT 285 KROC Center Certificate Capstone (2 credit hours)
CORE COURSES IN THE KROC CENTER LEADERSHIP PROGRAM:
MGT 281 – Leadership and Strategy for KROC Centers (2 credit hours)
This course introduces students to the distinctive culture, purposes, and practices of the KROC Center and identifies the necessary skills required to provide leadership in such an environment. Students will become acquainted with teamwork principles, group dynamic concepts, conflict management strategies, and the principles of effective strategic planning.
MGT 282 – Human Resource Management for KROC Centers (3 credit hours)
This course provides an overview of the underlying philosophy, principles, and practices of effective HR management at KROC Centers. Students will be equipped with the necessary skills to oversee the effective implementation of practices relating to recruiting, assessing, hiring on-boarding, and evaluating staff.
MGT 283 – Operations and Programs for KROC Centers (2 credit hours)
This course introduces the breadth of KROC Center operations and the importance of both mission and margin for the sustainability of the enterprise. Emphasis is given to understanding the importance of these dual roles in strategic planning, programming, finances, employees, and customer development. Key metrics and technology systems and infrastructure will be covered as well as an overview of KROC Operating Standards.
MGT 284 – Financial Management for KROC Centers (3 credit hours)
This course describes the various aspects of financial management in KROC Centers, including the role of the Executive in finance and budget decisions, the purpose of a business plan and the place of an independent auditor’s report. Students will develop the necessary skills to employ foundational accounting concepts in KROC Center operations, including developing effective fund-raising strategies.
MGT 285 – KROC Center Certificate Capstone (2 credit hours)
The capstone course is designed to facilitate the integration and demonstrated application of Salvation Army KROC Center policies and procedures as outlined in the other courses of the certificate program. Practicum experiences at KROC Centers are part of this course.